Ensure you are meeting any Federal, State, or Local tax requirements for your business.

EIN needed for federal tax and employment tax  

The Employer Identification Number (EIN) obtained through the U.S Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is important to starting your business. The EIN is often referred to as an Employer Tax ID. Apply for an Employer Identification Number (EIN) Online here.

City of Tuscaloosa Taxes 

There are various taxes that your business could potentially encounter. Please contact the City of Tuscaloosa’s Accounting and Finance, Revenue division if you have further questions at (205) 248-5200 or by email at

State of Alabama Taxes 

My Alabama Taxes (MAT) is the official web portal for the Alabama Department of Revenue. Most business entities wishing to do business in Alabama must register for a unique Alabama Tax ID using MAT. A taxpayer can file City, County, and the State’s following taxes through the MAT portal: sales, use, rental of tangible personal property, and lodging tax.

Your State Tax ID is not needed in order to obtain a State or City of Tuscaloosa Business license. State business licenses are administered through the County, so you will need to contact Tuscaloosa County Business License Division to determine if you need a license. 

Register online for an Alabama Tax ID through the My Alabama Taxes Portal.

        Tuscaloosa County Taxes

All entities that currently conduct business in Tuscaloosa County should contact the Tuscaloosa County Special Tax Board office to determine any potential tax liability.